Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Little Girls: The Path Cosplay Creation

Cosplay Breakdown: The Path
Soundtrack Category Name: Track 3 'Little Girls'



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, this is awkward...

It seems I was a little too ambitious when I first started this blog. Making a full cast of cosplay costumes by crunch time is one thing, but making a tutorial about it … well, that’s a bit more difficult. Especially when you’ve found that you’ve reached the end and didn’t take any photos. Anyway, yes, I fail and to all you tutorial writers who don’t even break a sweat *salute*.

I will be doing a 'Resident Evil classic’ tutorial in the future, but for now I would like to start with something simpler to earn my sea legs. Or tutorial hands … as the case may be.

Since we’re starting small and simple, I thought it might be appropriate to feature a small, hindi gaming company and a deceptively simple game. I am of course talking about, Konami’s hidden treasure, Metal Gear Solid.

Wait, *flips through book of important stuff* what I meant to say was Tale of Tales’ modern rendition of Little Red Riding Hood, The Path. Now I’ve already reviewed this game in my deviantart account and I’m a very busy (lazy) person. Therefore, I’m only giving a quick recap.

Now, I’m assuming everyone is familiar with a version of the story 'Little Red Riding Hood', right? Little Red is sent to visit her sick grandmother and on the way she meets a wolf? Well, on the surface, that’s exactly what happens in The Path. You play as one of six sisters (Robin, Rose, Ginger, Ruby, Carmen, Scarlet), as you explore the mysteries of a ponderous, eerie and beautiful forest landscape on your way to Grandmothers’ House. However, what really happens to each girl is a heated debate on blogs and gaming sites everywhere.


Why? Because The Path is a highly unconventional gaming experience that deals with serious life issues indirectly. The main characters, despite being sisters, are not a Huey, Dewey, and Louie deal. Though they all explore the same forest and interact with the same items, the way they view the world differs based on their age and emotional maturity. The problems they are facing outside of the woods also vary and each girl is grappling with some aspect of life/womanhood before the story begins. Consequently, the Big Bad Wolf waiting for them in the forest comes in many shapes and sizes. 

Perrault's tragic version of the fairy Tale, 'Little Red Riding Hood' bares the heaviest influence upon The Path. The final 'Moral' of the tale (from which this cosplay series got its name) is even recited during the game trailers. 

 Little girls, this seems to say,
Never stop upon your way.
Never trust a stranger-friend;
No one knows how it will end.
As you’re pretty, so be wise;
Wolves may lurk in every guise.
Handsome they may be, and kind,
Gay, or charming never mind!
Now, as then, ‘tis simple truth—
Sweetest tongue has sharpest tooth!

If you’re curious or just like running through a simulated fairytale wood, then you can find The Path here at the Tale of Tales website.

That takes care of the unfamiliars. Now, I imagine that most of you are here to make a cosplay, so let's get to it! I'll take you step by step through each of the sisters, from story to costume, beginning with the oldest. 

Now, out of principle and respect for those who still love surprises, I try to keep these tutorials spoiler free. I will do my very best as I break down these cosplays, but please understand that you will then have to play the game to completely understand how to embrace the attitudes of each girl. I will give you as much as I can without ruining anything.




No comments:

Post a Comment